Castle On The Hill
1937 The Ranger Annual
Northwestern State Teachers' College
1937-38 Student Directory NSTC - rtf file
1937 - Ranger Annual -- [See NW OkieLegacy Webshots for the entire scanned 1937 Ranger yearbook] - This Annual has been published under the direction of the Student Council. It is entirely a product of student labor and strudent supervision. All printing except photographs was done in the Commerce Department by students in the Department. The printed pages were reproduced on the Mimeograph and the colored sketches were made on teh Ditto. The Student Council wishes to thank those who helped in the production of this annual, and the sutdent body for the splendid way in which it has subscribed. The Chamber of Commerce and the various business firms gave their wholehearted support for which the Council expresses its gratitude.
Annual Staff Members -- Juanita McClaflin, Editor-in-Chief; Ralph Clifford, Business Manager; Jamie Carol White, Sales Manager; John Smith, Advertising Manager.
Student Council -- Ralph Clifford, Pres., Jr. Rep.; Jamie CArol White, V-Pres., Sr. Rep.; John Smith, Disciplinary Chairman, Jr. Rep.; Jonathan "Andy" Ewert, Rep. at Large; Leland Gentzler, Sr. Rep.; Leon Jillson, Soph. Rep.; John Wenzel, Fr. Rep.; Louise Parker, Sec., Soph. Rep.; Perry Irons, Tres., Soph. Rep.; Edward Aud, Sr. Rep.; Juanita McClaflin, Jr. Rep.; Helene Dorothy Fuller, Fr. Rep.; Harry Betty, Fr. Rep. -- Student council - by Louise Parker
Spirit of Northwestern - by Ed Aud
The Great Day - by an interested student
Seniors - Jonathan "Andy" Ewert, Mildred Truitt, Lois Jean Anderson, Francis Albright, Chester Alexander, Reba Anderson, Mldred Certain, Wm. Howard Coyle, Edward "Ed" Aud, Fleta Baker, Estella Bengston, Eileen Bliss, Frances Brown, Athol Brunk, Carl Carter, STencil Castine, Hugh Cosby, Maude Curran, Opal De Moss, Wintress Downs, Dorothy Early, William I. Fletcher, Margaret Fossey, Nelda Magee Freed, Leland Gentzler, Violetta George, Glenn "Red" Gibson, Rosalie Harth, Violet Holder, Blanche Holmden, Doris Huddle, Evelyn Irons, Camille Katherman, Bernice Keck, Lela King, Mary Lois Lamont, Carnie Landess, Katherine Lowther, Delbert McAlpin, Argus McBrayer, Lois Ann Miller, Pauline Morgan, Margery Mote, Forrest Mussen, Mrs. Anna Noble, Milton Rudy, Bernice Schniffner, Darlene Sharkey, Raymond Sherfy, Harold Shirley, Dean Simon, ADeline Smith, Elvin Smith, Cooper West, Jamie Carol White, Glenn Wilson, D'Esta Wyman, Mary Yauk -- pics: seniors-1 | seniors-2 | seniors-3 | seniors-4 | seniors-5
Juniors "Next Year's Seniors" - Max Jack, V-Pres.; Miriam White, Sec.; Kenneth Wilson, Pres. -- pics: Juniors
Sophomores - Randal Buchanun, Pres.; Hallie Morgan, V-Pres.; Faye Freeman, Sec.
Freshmen - Cloyce Cuncan, Pres. -- Freshman Class - by Cloyce Duncan.
Northwestern Queens - Lois White, Ranger Queen & Marydeth Strawn, Band Queen.
- Northwestern Zipper Club - by Gayle Nevitt, Reporter. Violet Divine, Pres. - Cathleen Irwin, Mary Norris, Margaret Church, Mildred Truitt, Fay Lingo, Bonnie Wright, Gayle Nevitt, Kathryn Gibson, Jane Jackson, Phylis Card, Areta Ellis, Lois Jean Anderson, Eleanor Johnston, Edith Tatro, Virginia Kelln, Everette Marie Fulmer, Mary Yauk, Dwight Hildinger, Marjorie Maddox, Ruth Kliever, Opal Newton, Margaret Rauh, Mary Rances Balz, Florine Harper, Genevieve Scherer, Elizabeth Dougherty, Daphne Hollis, Jamie Carol White, Dollie Bee McCoy, Erl Line Cline, Maxine Fash Robers, Lenora Beknap, Luella Mae Liming, Lois Newlin, Darlene Sharkey, Oreta Hall (Faculty sponsor), Violet Divine (Pres.), Dorothea Doughty (Yell leader) -- Zipper club
- Wranglers - by Eldon Bloyd & Tony Buchanan. Durward Borden, Pres. - Max Myers, La Van Beckwith, Ross Strader, Athol Brunk, Kenneth Wilson, Robert Lembke, Kerbert Maltbie, Nelson Peach, Claude Stricker, Glen Cosby, Mr. Bush (faculty sponsor), Henry Fromme, Randal Buchanan, Jonathan "Andy" Ewert, Jim Hickey, Eldon Bloyd, Oliver Pruett, Earl Sargent, Jack Cannon, Ormand Rodgers, Dale Frieden, Max Jack Victor Powers, Erwin Tesky, Sherwood Johnson. -- Wranglers Club
- W.A.A. (Women's Athletic Association) - Evelyn Anderson, Nellie Johnson, Frances Brown, Winnie May Davis, Hallie Fern Hunt, Alma Lois Rodgers (Faculty sponsor), Mary Allen, Hazel Jean Austin, Maude Curran, Clareen Corser, Maxine Brown, Helen Smith, Honore Smith, Mildred Cook, Faye Sprangel, Bernice Schiffner, Helen Smith, Marjorie Rodkey, Beulah Schwind, Helen Landon, Mildred Truitt, Mona Looney, Lois Jean Anderson, Geraldine Somers. WAA Assoc.
- Senior Play Cast - Evelyn Irons, Harold Shirley, Jonathan "Andy" Ewert, Francis Albright, Hugh Cosby, E'Esta Wyman, Katherine Lowther, Jamie Carol White, Dorothea Bloyd, Mildred Certain, Mary Lois Lamont.
- YWCA (Young Women's Christian Association - Blanche Holmden, D'Esta Wyman, Frances Brown, Ella Bruner, Mrs. Hardy (sponsor), Mona Looney, Eleanor Amend (pres.), Honore Smith, Doris Baker, Lodena Ellison, Aden McFarland, Erma Bruner, Roe Yauk, Nellie Johnson, Letha Morehart, Dorthy Andrews, Edna Meigs, Iris Ellis, Miriam White, Roberta Edwards, Allene Templin, Edith Tatro, Pearl Newby, Marjorie Dayton, Grace Dean, Evelyn Anderson, Lenice Morehart, Ethel Buss, Kay Curran, Mary Norris, Phyllis Card, Freda Mae Sowle, Olene Wells, Carnie Landis, Helen M. Smith, Helene Smith, Marguerite Hendricks, Lora Whizenhunt, Lucille Gleyre, Aurice Hugely, Kathryn Louther. Eleanor Amend (Pres).
- Home Economics Club - Ruth Ricker, Mrs. Estella Rackley (sponsor), Blanche Holmden, Bernice Beard, Letha Day, Mrs. Mary Sue Harth, Maude Curran, Mrs. Olive McKinney, Mrs. Veda Berry Eggleston, Vivian Chew, Roaslie Harth, Jadeena Leeper, Lucille Giles, Francis Norman, Lois King, Maxine Brady, Mrs. Allie D. Hale (sponsor), D;Esta Wyman, Lenice Morehart, Frances Brown, Doris Baker, Virginia Kelln.
- College Orchestra - Officers of Northwestern Little Symphony: Ollie Bowers (Pres.), Gideon LaPlante (V-Pres.), Ben Harrover (Sec.), Edward Leighton (Librarian).
- College Band
- Northwestern Band & Orchestra -
- Drum & Bugle Corps - Marjorie Rodkey, Eleanor Johnston, Bernice Schniffner, Dorothy Andrews (drum major), Delorus Gregg, Lucille Hodges, Maxine Brown, Arvis Zinn, Nancy Beth Galyen, Helene Smith, Jane Jackson, Billie Ryser, Georgia Faye Andrews, Edith Tatro, Eleanor Amend, Allene Templin, Lois Newlin, Honore Smith, Dollie Bee McCoy, Lois Jean Anderson, Roberta Edwards, Wayne Oshel, Mascot. -- pics: Drum & Bugle Corps & McDowell Music Club -- McDowell Music Club: Katherine Lowther, Amelia Yauk, Mona Looney, Lawrence Lynch, Norma Billups, Lois White, Faye Huff, Evelyn Harrell, Arvis Zinn, Iola Ricks, Esther White, Margaret Fossey, Betty Lou Heaton, Margery Smith (Sponsor).
- Alpha Psi Omega - Ruth Stevenson, Mrs. W. L. Halstead, Francis Albright, E. B. L. Hardy, Mrs. Allie D. Hale, Leland Gentzler (Sub-director), Lois Rodgers (faculty director), Lois Jean Andrson (cast director).
- Little Theatre - William Stahl, Kenneth Wilson, Milford Grimwood, Cecil Beck, Jeff Bower, Perry Brandenburg, Ross Strader, Tom Auner, Glen Cosby, Irving Smith, Marydeth Strawn, Lois White, Maybelle Hackett, James Stevenson, Mildred Certain, Margaret Church, Cloyce duncan, Cathleen Irvin, Helen Fuller, D'Esta Wyman, Marybelle Webb, Mrs. Blanche Holmden, Dwight Hildinger, Elva Torrance, Jamie Carol White, Winifred Parkurst (sec.), John Smith (Treas.), Lois Jean Anderson (Pres. of Little Theatre & Alpha Psi Omega), Leland Gentzler (V-Pres), Eldon Bloyd (reporter), Louise Parker, Eleanor Amend, Agnes Torrance, Durward Borden.
- Pi Kappa Delta & Debate Squad - Pi Kappa Delta - Howard Harpham, E. B. L. Hardy, Jamie Carol White (pres.), Doris Baker, Coach O. W. Rush, Merle De Moss, John W. V. Smith, Ralph Clifford, Leland Gentzler. Debate Squad: J. D. Foliart, Wayne quinlan, Jamie Carol White, Howard Harpham, Marguerite Henricks, Coach O. W. Rush, Ira Painton, Everette Marie Fulmer, John W. V. Smith, Doris Baker, Ralph Clifford.
- PI Kappa Sigma - Active members: Dorothea Bloyd, Maurine McCollum, Virginia Kelln, Geraldine Somers, Mary Lois Lamont, Allene Templin, Lucile Giles, Mildred Truitt, Lucile Giles. Pledges: Velma Ruth Bloyd, Lois Behel, Franka Thomas, Miriam White, Esther White, Ruth Kliewer, Edith Tatro, Mary Norris, Edna Mae Croft, Esther Thrall, Leta Estelle Williams, Ruth Stevenson. Faculty Advisors: Mattie Lyday, Afton Bilby.
- Sigma Sigma Sigma - Estella Rackley, Edith Higginbotham, Cletis Duran, Pauline Morgan, Bernice Keck, Elsie Fay Peters, Helene Fuller, Corine Roe, Lucille Hansen, Evelyn Chaffee, Doris Huddle, Eva Mae Rogers.
- Alpha Sigma Alpha - Officers: Ethel Green, Vevian Chew, Katherine Lowther, Ruth Riecker, Lenora Belknap, Margery Mote, Ramona Baker, Lousie Ewalt, Miss Vera Leeper (faculty sponsor). Everette Marie Fulmer, Phylis Card, Wilma Greer, Iola Ricks, Margery Mote, Erl Lene Cline, Vada Paris, Betty Lou Heaton, Lodeena Ellison, Jadeena Leeper, Lenora Belknap, Ruth Ricker, Vivian Chew, Ethel Green, Katherine Lowther, Ramona Baker, Vera Leeper.
- Delta Sigma Epsilon - Jamie Carol White, Louise Parker, Mildred Certain, Mary Yauk, Reba Anderson, Marydeth Strawn, Hallie Morgan, Ruth Yeoman, Mildren Simon, Louise Litton, Berry Vis Rolfe, Edith Conrad, Alice Eckel, Billie Ryser, Helen Litton, Norma Billups, Lois Miller, Maybelle Hackett, Vona Boucher, Ruth Hadwiger, Margaret Fossey, Helen Pierce, Ruby Wright, Opal Newton, Florence Yeoman, Lois Jean Anderson, Frances Rogers, Winifred Parkhurst, Lois White, Georgia Faye Andrews.
- N.Y.A. (National Youth Administration)
- International Relations Club
- Student Labor in the Maintenance Department
- Northwestern College Alumni
- Gridiron Stars - Glenn "Red" Gibson, Archie Bird, Forrest Mussen, Howard Coyle, Charles "Chuck" Haraughty. -- Ranger Football Squad (Fall 1936): Coach Jenks Simmons, Donald King, Fred Miller, Virgil McDaniel, "Chick" Haraughy, Howard Coyle, LaVerne Miller, Archie Bird, "Tiny" Ensminger, Jack Mayfield, Charlie Bird, Clyde Hall, Everett Ensminger, Wesley Beck (Assistant Coach), Forrest Mussen, Mickey Middleton, "Red" Gibson, Cooper West, Byron Roberts, Malcolm Lewis, Sanford Mewsom, I. J. Mitchell, Marion Story, Milford Grimwood, Dalward Mewsom, I. J. Mitchell, Marion Story, Milford Grimwood, Dalward Newsom, Herbert Hinther, Blaire Nelson, Lloyd Wells, Lonnie Bird, John Wenzel, Lewis Baker, Henry Couch, J. L. Reed, Norman Hiatt, paul Clark.
- Basketball - Ray Rice, Emore Ensiminger, I. J. Mitchell, Dalward Newsom, Richard Bennett, Byron Roberts, Sanford Newsom, Howard Coyle, Joe "Red" Maddox, Loren Bruner, Nelson Peach.
- Physical Education for Women
- Industrial Education
- Foreign Language Department
- Art Department
- English Department
- Music Department
- Girls, Boys & A Cappella Choir Photo - Girls Trio: Gerna Lee Stambaugh, Norma Billups, Cleone Hays. Boys Quartette: Lawrence Lynch, Floyd Carpenter, Blaire Nelson, Ben Harrover. A Capella Choir: Pauline Dennis, Norma Billups, Winikfred Parkhurst, Lawson Lee, Jeff Bowers, Floyd Carpenter, John McDaniel, Eugene Strader, Floyd Anthis, Blaire Nelson, Maybelle Hackett, Ruby Wright, Agnes Torrance, Scott Harmon, Charles Mitchel, Otho McGuffee, Gideon LaPlante, Ben Harrover, Ollie Bowers, Catherine Lowther, Miriam White, E. B. L. Hardy, Ruth Yoeman, Ina Cates, Edith Conrad, Phillip Lupton, Edward Leighton, Cloyce Duncan, Oran Humphrey, Honore Smith, Genevieve Schere, Lois White, Helene Doron Fuller, Mildred George, Frances Norman, Lodena Ellison, Gerna Lee Stambaugh, Margaret Fossey, Luella Johnson, Betty Vic Rolfe, Cleone Hays, Pearl Newby.
- Geography - Agriculture - Geology - Mrs. Anna Noble
- Biology Department -
- Typical Day in the Library - by Betty Remmle
- Educational Delirium - by Milburn Beaman
- Economics Department - by Wilton Anderson
- Chemistry Department - by Lois Miller
- Home Economics Department -
- Commerce Department
- Qualifications as a Stenographer - by Charles F. Baird
- Demonstration School & Class History - B. F. Johnson, Superintendent
- NWHS 1937 - Elmer Brehmer, Gladys Brockus, Henry Paph, Vernette Lenohardt, Denver Duan, Zella Benlon, Nellie Lehl, Mart Benson, Ava Lambert, Fred Barnes (pres.), Velma Keck (V-Pres), B. F. Johnson (sponsor), Margaret Schaefer (Sec.), Genevieve Smith (treas.), Delbert Arnole, Margaret Koppitz, Raymond Howell, Della Brown, Ray McGuire, Louise Cameron, Jack King, Pauline Carmichael.
- Northwestern High School Band - Officers: Jimmie Kingston (Pres), Dorothy Scripsick (V-pres), Estell Smith (Sec/Librarian), Velma Keck (business manager).
Student Projects & Essays...
- NWHS - Sophomore Class Play - While studying the classic, "Silas Marner", a committee of the sophomore class of the Northwestern High School arranged a play based on the well-known classic. The play is made up of three acts, with one, two, and three scenes to the act. The sophomores composing this committee are: Ella Louise Hyde, Delpha Robinson, Glory Ann Crisp, Loren Brehmer, Wilmer Welsch, Alma Paph and Ruby Hull.
- George Washington - by Dean Kelley (4th grade, 11 yrs)
- Our Play House
- Colonial Schools - by Gerold Lanman, sixth grade
- The Little Cook - by Virginia Reed, 4th grade, 9 yrs.
- The Colonial Churches - by Norville Johnson, 6th grade
- Original Poem - by Dolores Berry, 2nd grade
- Original Story - The Fire Truck - by Eddie Johnson, 2nd grade
- The Postmaster - by Haskell Menser, 3rd grade, 9 yrs.
ParisTimes Pioneers | WWW Publishing Co | NW OkieLegacy |
1917 Ranger |
1926 Ranger |
1937 Ranger | 1938 Ranger
NW OkieLegacy webshots
Latest Revision -
Tuesday, December 28, 2010 8:49 PM
Copyrighted © 2011 by
WWWPubCo | OkieLegacy.net | OkieLegacy.org
All Rights Reserved. Webmaster/Owner - LK