The Alva Record Tidbits

The Alva Record ...

"Alva Record" was established in Alva, Oklahoma as a weekly, February 21, 1921 through February 26, 1931. Allen Doughty bought "Renfrew Record" from Timmons & Finch of Cherokee, Oklahoma and changed it to "Alva Record." In 1930, it was printed as a daily; changing to "Alva Daily Record."

"Alva Daily Record" was established in Alva, Oklahoma as a daily newspaper, March 3, 1931 through December 31, 1940. It was located in the 600 block of Barnes Avenue. In 1941, Doughty sold the it to Joe McBride and Jim Nance. Nance & McBride bought the "Review-Courier," which was merged with the "Alva Daily Record."

Other Woods County, Oklahoma Publications
  • The Alva Daily Pioneer began June 24, 1901, was published from July 25, 1903 through April 9, 1906.
  • "Alva Pioneer" - Alva, OK, weekly, September 22, 1893 through July 9, 1897; merged with "Alva Republican" into "Alva Pioneer Republican." It was the first newspaper in Alva, Woods County, Oklahoma Territory, September, 1893; W. F. Hatfield started gathering news, selling subscriptions with the assistance of Oscar Haberlein who worked at the Kiowa News in Kansas. The "Pioneer" was printed in Hazelton, Kansas, brought to Alva, O.T. and delivered to subscribers for the first 6 weeks. After that it was housed in the second story of the first two-story building (20x40 feet) built by Hatfield, around October, 1893, to house his press. The "Pioneer" was the oldest, daily Democratic paper in Woods County. It was published for 10 years in its two-story location and grew from a weekly to a daily paper. Downstairs below the "Pioneer" printing office was located a restaurant opened by G. W. Drake and his wife from the Hazelton, Kansas area.
  • "Alva Republican" - Alva, OK, weekly, purchased February 9, 1894 by James Kelley and J. I. Parcell, the first republican newspaper in Alva, O.T.; publication dates February 23, 1894 through July 2, 1897; merged with "Alva Pioneer" into "Alva Pioneer Republican."
  • "Alva Pioneer Republican" - Alva, OK, weekly, July 16, 1897 through December 24, 1897.
  • "Alva Pioneer" - Alva, OK, weekly, December 31, 1897 through August 16, 1901.
  • "Alva Weekly Pioneer" - Alva, OK, weekly, August 23, 1901 through August 27, 1909.
  • "Alva Pioneer" - Alva, OK, weekly, September 3, 1909 through July 7, 1911, ceased publication.
  • Daily Editions:
  • "Alva Daily Pioneer" - Alva, OK, began June 24, 1901, publication dates July 25, 1903 through April 9, 1906.
  • "Daily Pioneer" - Alva, OK, daily, January 14, 1911 through April 30, 1917.
  • "Alva Daily Pioneer" - Alva, OK, daily, publication dates April 28, 1917 through April 23, 1919. Absorbed by "Daily Review Courier" (SEE Linked Group 1).
  • "Ames Enterprise" - Hoyle, OK, weekly (Major county), November 15, 1901 through July 4, 1902.
  • "Renfrews Record" - Alva, OK, weekly, July 24, 1902 through February 25, 1921. Founded by James P. Renfrew, as a weekly in the five hundred block of Barnes Avenue
  • "Alva Weekly Record" - Alva, OK, weekly, September 19, 1946 through September 4, 1947.
  • "Woods County Enterprise" - Waynoka, OK, November 2, 1900 through June 6, 1935.
  • "Woods County Enterprise & Waynoka News" - Waynoka, OK, June 13, 1935 through April 12, 1984.
  • "Woods County Enterprise" - Waynoka, OK, April 19 through Present.
  • "Woods County Socialist" - Alva, OK, October 29, 1910 through November 26, 1910.
  • "Constructive Socilaist" - Alva, OK, August 2, 1911 through April 23, 1913.
  • "Waynoka Tribune" - Waynoka OK, February 5, 1909 through February 16, 1912.
  • "Waynoka Democrat" - Waynoka, OK, February 22, 1912 through October 16, 1914.
  • "Woods County News" - Augusta, OK, August 5, 1899 through October 25, 1907.
  • "Alfalfa County News" - Carmen, OK, November 1, 1907 through November 22, 1912. Absorbed by "Carmen Headlight."
  • "Dacoma Enterprise" - Dacoma, OK, weekly, May 3, 1912 through November 9, 1917.
  • "Dacoma Mascot" - Dacoma, OK, weekly, November 15, 1917 through June 24, 1920.
  • Individual Titles (Papers):
  • "Alva Chronicle" - Alva, OK, December 22, 1893 through August 2, 1895. It was the first paper in Alva, O.T.; The First 100 years of Alva, Oklahoma states that, "L. B. Wilson brought it September 21, 1893 from Crisfield, Kansas; Hatfield purchased the Alva Chronicle and merged it with the Pioneer."
  • "Avard Tribune" - Avard, OK, June 2, 1904 through July 26, 1918.
  • "Capron Hustler" - Capron, OK, June 16, 1904 through May 25, 1916.
  • "Dacoma News" - Dacoma, OK, February 19, 1909 through January 27, 1911.
  • "Daily Pioneer" - Alva, OK, January 14, 1911 through April 30, 1917.
  • "Freedom Booster" - Freedom, OK, October 19, 1916 through May 23, 1918.
  • "Freedom Call" - Freedom, OK, May 21, 1906 through November 26, 1914.
  • "Freedom Express" - Freedom, OK, May 21, 1906 through November 26, 1914.
  • "Prohibition Agitator" - Alva, OK, March 21, 1906 through June 13, 1906.v
  • "Sun" - Dacoma, OK, October 28, 1904 through June 2, 1905.
  • Sept. thru Oct. 1923 & 1925

    21 September 1923

    28 September 1923

    5 October 1923